How to adjust the animation speed of your visualization
Plenty of our templates have animated elements: whether that's moving points on a timeline, charts that animate in, or transitions between story slides. In this help doc, we'll explain more about how to adjust the animation of your visualizations.
Typically, there are two different kinds of animations you can adjust:
- The duration of timelines and time sliders in certain visualizations (e.g. Bar chart race, 3D map or those you add time sliders to via controls & filters)
- The overall duration of a visualization that applies to how long it takes animate on load, on transition in a story, and when you change a filter).
Have a look at the different kinds of animations you see as you move through the story below.
The type of animation you'll want to adjust will depend on your visualization:
Adjusting timeline & time slider animations
Go to the settings block where the animation settings are found:
- In a 3D map, go to Timeline > Timing and animation
- In a bar chart race, go to Timeline & animation > Timing and animation
- In a line chart race, go to Animation
- For time sliders created with a filter column binding, go to Controls & filters and enable the Advanced toggle:
- For timelines, you'll be setting a duration for the full length of the timeline, whereas for time sliders created with a filter column binding you'll be choosing the time between steps.
Adjusting overall animation durations (animation on load, slide & filter transitions)
- Create your visualization in the chosen template.
- Go to the Animation settings and set an Animation duration in milliseconds. This duration will apply to how long the chart takes to animate on load, on transition to a slide in a story, and on change of any filters.
Note: The animation settings available will vary by template. Most of our templates offer an overall animation duration, and some template offer further animation settings too.